Wednesday, January 30, 2008

all is not right in mudville

i like to think of my drive home from work as an accurate reflection of the state of affairs in my head. sometimes i get caught at every single god forsaken light on the way home and sometimes i barely have to touch the brake. the past week i zipped right home, miraculously breezing through every single green light. today, however, i was not so lucky. i swear i stopped at every single friggin' red light, got stuck behind some mini-van-jalopy doing 10 miles under the speed limit, and got jammed up by buses and fed ex trucks in the parking lane (in l.a. there's an anti-gridlock initiative which forbids parking in the parking lane during rush hour... most of the time these lanes are a clear shot, but occasionally, some jack-ass gums up the works).

to keep my road rage in check, i've learned to accept excessive red lights as a little message from the universe telling me to slow it down and check myself. as pollyanna as this idea sounds, it actually works for me. i had kind of a crap day... woke up late, necklace broke getting out of my car, i ate a 20 point lunch and just didn't give a shit, got stuck at nearly ALL the lights on the way home.

i can feel the numbness creeping in at my edges since being home. so instead of succumbing to an evening of overeating and guilt, i'm going to chiggity-check myself before i wriggity-wreck myself. i invite the small frustrations of the day in, but i will not let them overwhelm me.

today i am grateful for...
...my guy returning safely from a business trip
...busting out an unplanned, cute outfit for work even though i woke up late
...thomas' whole wheat english muffins
...a stellar 90 day new employee review w/ my boss
...the ability to recognize when i'm numbing myself and the grace and willingness to pull myself out of it
...my cutie pie pupperoni who always welcomes me home with doggie exhuberance
...tivo + american idol = 20 min of funny auditions instead of an hour of ryan seacrest filler

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for such a thoughtful, insightful and positive comment in my blog. I feel like I've just been given a fabulous, stongly-squeezed hug complete with little "mmph"-ing sounds. :)

Heather said...

heh..how would you like to sit in the car for 3 hours? that is what i did today! normally my commute is an hour and a half each way, but today was wrose becasue of the weather. lol. just had to vent for a moment!

but I think what you wrote about as an analogy to what is going on in your life is very true. we should all pay more attention to those "red lights" and celebrate the "green". the things you are happy for are great.

Unknown said...

"i invite the small frustrations of the day in, but i will not let them overwhelm me."

Good stuff! :)

j