Tuesday, January 29, 2008

you're my punk rock girl

this weekend i found my old tongue post and was tickled by the idea that my tongue piercing might still be open. i remember the piercing technician telling me that if i didn't wear the post at all times, it would close up very quickly. when i finally got a 'real' job a few years later, i was reluctant to remove the piercing so i bought increasingly smaller gauges and shorter posts so as to conceal my rebellion from my corporate gig. this was also about the same time that the spice girls exploded onto the scene and scary spice was titillating pubescent girls and 'cool' parents with her flashy new tongue jewelry. lame. i remember feeling so unique because i was still rocking a tongue ring, which was actually an eyebrow post - so it was waaay more discreet, and therefore, still cool. i was foolin' no one but myself...

so when i found the tongue post, nostalgia and curiosity got the better of me and i had to see if my piercing was still open. i was delighted to find that it hadn't closed up - well, maybe it closed up a little, but with a little force, i was able to jam the damn thing through my tongue. i wore it all night, enjoying the click-click-click against my teeth, checking my mouth out in every mirror i passed. but when i woke up the next morning, i became acutely aware of a dull throb in my tongue. the novelty had completely worn off and i was left with an irritating piece of metal in my mouth which i just wanted out. after pulling, prodding and tugging, i finally freed myself from the whimsical memento of my youth.

and yet, as sucky as it was to wake with that obtrusive tongue post stuck in my mouth, i feel conflicted about permanently letting go of this token of my young adulthood. i felt pangs of child-like defiance surface when i dared to think, "shit. this is not for me anymore." the twenty-something girl in me absolutely did not want to cede her grip on the reigns.

i realize that that part of me from the past no longer fits the current me. but it's tough for me to let go of the girl i used to be. i still find myself clinging to mementos of my college years, cherishing 'friends' from that era who add nothing to my life today, desperately holding onto my pierced tongue. becoming aware of these feeling, recognizing this pattern now feels as constricting as wearing a pair of shoes that are two sizes too small. why would i want to do that?

why try to fit my current life into the shape of my past? i'm so much wiser now. i'm happy with who i am today. i've worked hard to create a deeply satisfying life for myself and to appreciate the process and the journey of how i got to be where i am now. i've made peace and am still making peace with my self, my body. i have come so far from the days of that rebellious, tongue-pierced girl. yet, until now, i couldn't seem to let her go.

as i reflect on the past weekend, i realize that i don't want to be that girl anymore. i want to be who i am today. i want to fully embrace the woman i am right now. i will not forget your rebellious spirit, punk rock girl. i won't forget how cool, unique, and brave you were. i'll hold onto the courage you exhibited while trying to figure out those tumultuous college years. i honor our past because that's where you, my inner punk rock girl, created the building blocks of who i am today.

it feels a little uncomfortable settling into that thought, to let myself be an adult, to fully embody the idea. it's scary. to accept adulthood is to accept responsibility, accountability. and yet, if i hold up a mirror, the person looking back is certainly no girl. no, the reflection i see belongs to a beautiful thirty-something woman, a woman who's eyes shine not with the brightness and naivety of youth, but with the knowing sparkle of wisdom, of experience, of adulthood.

i'm going to keep that old tongue ring. i'll save it in the bottom of my jewelry box. i might come across it in another couple of years, but perhaps then, i won't feel the need to make it fit where it no longer belongs. i like the idea of accepting who i am today. it feels like relief. it feels empowering. i am an adult. i am responsible for my health. i am capable of taking care of and nurturing my body. i am accountable for my weight and i accept the responsibility to change it.

4 comments:

Fairy Princess said...

I totally have felt this post. A few years ago (not that many) I had the same thing happen with my eyebrow ring and last year my husband removed his tongue ring as well.

It's weird and liberating all at once. The 20 something in me screamed at me for not wanting to express my rebelliousness through my piercings, but the 30 something in me convinced me that I am still rebellious enough, unique enough, and outspoken enough to not have my piercings (or anything else of that nature) need to do that talking for me anymore.

I still have my 2 tattoos and heck my hubby is a tattoo artist. So we still rock. We just have less holes.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry -- very thought-provoking.

I had a nose ring and had to give it up for job reasons way before I was emotionally ready to let loose of this symbol of my rebellious and unique self. I hated letting it go, but when I tried re-piercing years later, I made the same discovery: it no longer fit me. :)

However, I still rock: I was more than happy to accompany my teenager to the piercing parlor to sign parental permission for his eyebrow piercing. :)

Heather said...

I really like this post because its very true and I can relate to it big time. Plus I have a nasty scar in my belly button where I also had a piercing as well in my "college days".

it is hard to let go of something you once were, but often we find that it doesnt fit us anymore anyways. i missed college for a long time, but when I look at my life now, I really like who I have become and what I have done.

Anonymous said...

My husband kept his eyebrow and lip rings as a reminder of his uni days :) I still can't part with my naval piercing...even though it looks dreadful - I feel that saying goodbye to that is like saying goodbye to the hope of ever having a flat stomach and showing it off