Sunday, April 6, 2008

home again home again jiggity jig

i got home mid-week last week. i was exhausted and newly sick, but utterly delighted that my dad was well into recovery and even walking around by the time i left. as a matter of fact, he was doing so well that the hospital released him on wednesday. it boggles the mind to think that 4 days prior to his release, he was on an operating table with his thoracic cavity completely exposed and his heart unable to function on its own.

i spent the entire plane ride to chicago steeling myself against the potential bullshit factor that i just knew was waiting for me. my mom picked me up at the airport, gave me a quick hug, then shoved a large cookie at me. "here we go" i thought as i turned down the baked goods. i couldn't have been more wrong in my assumptions, though. the visit was surprisingly really really good. all but one of my siblings returned home. my younger brother and sister stayed for nearly a week longer than i did, but i'm really glad that i went back even if it was for just a long weekend. my mom was the epitome of graciousness - which completely took me by surprise. and my sibs were supportive and generous with their compassion and helpfulness. there was no weird undercurrent of animosity or agenda. it was just really pleasant.

one morning, before visiting hours, i ducked into a salon for a much needed cut and color. about an hour into my highlighting, my mom called the salon. since there was no one else in the shop, we could clearly hear the desk clerk talking about me. she was telling someone that i was in the middle of my appointment. i said some snide comment to my stylist about how it was
probably my mother and how it would be her drama queen style to call the salon instead of my cell phone to relay information on my dad's status. turns out she called to give her credit card number to pay for my visit. wow. i sheepishly joked about putting my foot in my mouth to the stylist and sat there for the rest of the dye job feeling like a total louse.

the exchange at the salon got me thinking though. i was surprised at how quick i was to disparage my mother. as soon as i heard that she was on the phone, i immediately went into blame mode. how shitty of me. my knee jerk reaction at the salon also caused me to reflect on my interaction with my mom when she first relayed the news about my dad... perhaps it was i who was the drama queen? maybe it was me who was overreacting to the news? me who was getting all spun up? after all, i am my mother's daughter...

my dad's sister flew out from the east coast, too. she is another crazy broad with her own set of issues. my mom and my aunt have never really gotten along and in recent years, their relationship has escalated to all out war. my aunt booked a ticket and rented a car, but made no lodging accommodations. i was delightfully surprised at how my mom handled the situation. she attempted to clear the air with my aunt before the rest of us got to chicago and even offered an apology to my aunt. she also extended her home and included my aunt in all the family activities. (of course, my mom bitched to me about how my aunt didn't offer an apology or responsibility for any of the bad blood between the two of them, but that my mom was able to shelf that shit for the duration of the visit? well bravo, mama. bravo.)

anyway, it feels good to be home... dare i say... i was actually looking forward to returning to los angeles? my, how the tide has turned...

i'm sending a prayer of thanks out to the universe - i'm grateful to have an extensive community of support both online and in person. i'm grateful that my father is making an amazing recovery. i'm grateful for my family. i'm grateful for change, and surprises, and for the ability to admit when i'm wrong. and i'm grateful to be home.

6 comments:

Fairy Princess said...

I am so glad to hear about your Dad. Mom's are like that...just when you think you have everything figured out, something happens and they change all the rules. Tragedy and scares tend to bring families close together, and with you being in LA your mom was probably so thankful to have you there and also happy that your Dad was doing well...Family is family...most are dysfunctional (I know mine is) but sounds like yours is doing pretty ok right now. :)

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I'm so glad to read that your dad is doing well!! -- and don't be too quick to take the blame for mis-reading your mom, it wasn't all your fault. After all, you do have years of training in dealing with her being over-reactive and putting the spin to her children, so it wasn't illogical to expect it. :)

Gah! I just hate it when my Mom pulls a "nice" out of her butt right after I've pointed an ugly finger in her direction! haha!

So, so glad you're back. :)

Anonymous said...

hey! welcome back! i am super glad everything went so well. it can be hard to change yourself but even harder to let other people change, you know? oh, by the way, notes from the trenches, a blog i read, had the same post title today! and you both have notes in your names! funny!

Heather said...

so glad to hear your father is doing better. and glad to hear your visit wasnt so horrible either.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're home. So glad you're safe. So very glad your father is on the road to recovery and that you can start the process of regaining some peace and sanity. Hope everything continues to go well.

j

Anonymous said...

Cool post! Thanks! Here is 10 ways to lose weight