Monday, February 11, 2008

kickin' ass and taking inventory

great week. successful week. but before i get into the thick of it, a quick goal recap:

week 1 goal: document all of my food intake. goal met.

week 2 goal: stay within my weight watchers point range for the week

yikes! did i really just give myself that much hangin' rope for week 2's goal? i have to admit that as a weight watchers online subscriber for two and a half months, i have not had one week where i've come in under my weekly points. until now, i have lived in terror of this goal. mostly because a very large part of me isn't sure that i can do it, but there is also an equally fearful part that i will do it. for days i mulled over a good second week goal for myself - it has to be something tangible, within my grasp, but not too scary and hard that i'll land face first into a giant vat of chocolate chip cookie dough. staying within my point range seems like a natural progression from accurately journaling my food intake - but still, this idea strikes a really fearful chord in me.

in the past, i could sense the fear creeping in, gnawing at the periphery of my consciousness until i was so consumed with holding it at bay, whatever it really is, that i would lose control of my true voice... seemed like no one was running the show because my true self was lost in a cacophony of confusion and denial. i don't want to head in to my next goal with this much fearful chatter whispering in my ear.

"that's too hard. you'll never be able to stick with that plan."
"this plan doesn't afford you enough food or wine."

"you haven't managed this accomplishment in two and a half months, what makes you think you can do it now?"

"what if you get hungry? you can't tolerate hunger."


but my fear is sneaky - it's done a good job of creating chaos and confusion, all of which exists to mask a deeper knowing: i am not loveable and i don't deserve success.

every time i eat something that doesn't directly provide nourishment, every time i drink one more glass of wine, every time i decide to watch some stupid reality show in favor of going for a walk, every time i make a conscious decision to deny myself those things that are good for me, i prove that deep, pained part of myself right: i don't deserve success. i don't deserve a healthy body. i don't deserve to love myself.

recently, i've written a lot about accepting the small frustrations and discouragements of the day into my life. i've talked about making room for them, letting them have space, be heard. i've made room in my heart and acknowledged these daily worries and in doing so, i have given them the freedom to dissipate. "your job is done now, little worry, thanks for bringing it to my attention but i've got it covered - run along."
this new revelation, though - this is a biggun'. and yet, as i write about this big, hairy, ugly underlying fear, i can feel it losing power, withdrawing, releasing it's grip on me. i am well enough to face it head on. i am strong enough to look it in the eyes and know it. if i can accept this part of me, this dark, painful part, then i can accept all of myself. i'm willing to do that. i want to be successful. i want to know the triumph that comes with hard work and dedication. if success feels anything at all like the relief and release that i'm tasting now in finding self acceptance, then i want more of it - a lot more of it!

slow and steady changes habits. i have to remember my intention for starting off with slow and easy goals: too much too soon is a known recipe for failure. but this new goal doesn't seem all that bad. when i stop and let the fear in, when i let it have a voice and acknowledge it, i realize that it is not the voice of my true self. the fearful voice is not the truest voice. it doesn't control me. i actually feel whole letting that fearful part up to the surface. i feel like i'm not denying, avoiding or ignoring me. i feel like i'm taking inventory of my inner workings and am getting to know exactly what's going on inside me. this is different. this feels like healing. this also feels a little like... success.

4 comments:

Amy said...

"what if i get hungry" ruined my life for a long time. I can't do that, I might get hungry. I really thought there was nothing as bad in the whole world as being hungry. I'm still working on it.

Anonymous said...

"... but there is also an equally fearful part that i will do it."

and

"every time i make a conscious decision to deny myself those things that are good for me, i prove that deep, pained part of myself right ..."

Good Lord, woman! Now you've gone and given me something to think about! :)

These statements strike a chord within me .. fear of success is an issue that I deal with (if I do something once, I will have proven to myself that I can do it and now I'll have no excuse not to keep doing it and I'll have to do it for the rest of my life and oh god am I strong enough/good enough), but this second statement really starts to crack open that closet door for me, shedding a tiny ray of light on some skeletons I don't think I even knew I had.

I'm almost afraid to ask the question, because then I'll have to formulate an answer and then I'll have to deal with that answer.
Why do I decide un/sub/consciously to deny myself the things that are good for me? Because I'm not worthy, I don't deserve. ... gah! open that door! I need more light in here! Jeez..is that a tibia?

Okay, I need to just formulate my own post instead of posting in your comments. :)

Have I told you lately how hard you rock? :)

Anonymous said...

it seems like this is a common theme for a few of us. :) i think you are right about letting it come up to the surface. nothing is as scary in the light. :)

Heather said...

well I think you are doing fantastic!

those little voices used to run my life and I finally was able to shut most of the up. becasue the reality is, you can and will succeed no matter what. sure its scary and sure, any changes that happen (and sometiems too fast), are scary too. but I know you are stronger than that.

in regards to pts, I did WW and while I think the structure of hte pts is great, in real life, people do not eat teh same amount every day. My calorie intake ranges from like 1500-1800 and thats fine by me..I still lose weight! so I dont think its bad thing to go over (obviously not by a ton) because thats life. if you are hungry, eat (healthy of course). thats just my philosophy.