Tuesday, February 12, 2008

sanity check

i got home from work a short while ago. i was staaaaaarvvvving (not literally, but quite dramatically). i felt that psycho must-eat-something-NOW-tornado start to spin inside me as soon as i walked in the door. i hurried through the right-when-you-get-home routine of feeding and walking pets but as soon as i returned from the potty walk, i nose-dived into the kitchen. awareness was shot and the cloud of numbness was surging in. the fastest thing to prepare was an english muffin and while it was cooking, i spied pringles (even faster). when i saw the pringles, i had a physical, pavlovian reaction - i felt my eyes get bigger at the recognition of the unopened tube of potato crisps and i started salivating. this story has a happy ending, though...

"whoa. hold up there, little mama. i've only got 13 points left for the day," i thought with the last shred of sanity. so i took 10 pringles out (mind you, i have NEVER counted out pringles before - this is huge for me), put the canister back and waited patiently for the muffin to finish toasting. i grabbed a bottle of water and my muffin and retreated to the office to check in with the blogs and try to calm the category 5 winds that started a churnin' in me just moments earlier.

this moment, as i type, the crazy need to feed feeling has abated and i am calm enough and sane enough to go back to the kitchen and make a healthy dinner. i didn't die from starvation. and i didn't succumb to "the nothing."

could it be? is this... success?!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a major accomplishment to me. Face it... you're a rock star! Bravo!

j

Fairy Princess said...

Nice going girl! I gotta say I had a similar thing happen yesterday while packing hubby's lunch. I grabbed a slice of turkey and cheese and rolled them up together and literally had them en route to my mouth when I stopped...said out loud..."What are you doing?" and fed it to the dog.

It was so mindless I didn't even realize it was going in until I could smell the cheesy goodness by my lips.

Yes...that is success you smell.

Heather said...

that is definitely success in my book! any time you stop, think about your actions, and make a change that will help you succeed is wonderful!

I have had days like that too where I am ravenous whne I come hom from work and want to eat everything in sight. what helps is to eat an afternoon snack that will tide you over until dinner. Or, have something planned for dinner or already prepared. This way you will not reach for what is avaiable and comfortable.